Friday, October 22, 2010

More fall riding

Our MAC group rode up to the Pittock Mansion Wednesday night via Cornell, Westover and Beulah Vista Drive, a route that is part of the Tour de Flanders I wrote about last May.   A nice aspect of Portland is that one can ride some pretty interesting terrain and never leave the Portland city limits.  From the Pittock Mansion we rode over to Council Crest.  Mark's Garmin picked up our loop nicely.
View of downtown Portland from the Pittock Mansion
Mt. Hood in the distance



Pittock Mansion

Mark, Cheyne and Coach Mike
Council Crest

Yesterday, Sonia talked me into riding with the Thursday 'lawyer' group.  This group meets at 12:15 pm every Thursday from Pioneer Courthouse Square and rides for a little over an hour up to Cornell and Thompson.  A big group of about 35 riders, a few 'fast' guys split off Thompson at 53rd (steep!) and hooked back into the 'slower' group near the top of Thompson.  I laughed as this group easily sprinted by me on that last part of what I already thought was a hard climb.  No pictures - no time.

I like these rides because they push me to a level I wouldn't normally do by myself.  It's also really fun to be in a large peloton of serious riders, sometimes the only sound being the whir of the bikes moving along.   

I'd like to think that these rides incorporate some of Chris Carmichael's fall and winter workouts that he writes about in this month's Bicycling Magazine.  "One workout a week involving short, maximum efforts will retain enough of your VO2 max power that you'll experience rapid and substantial gains when you ramp it up next year."  The unstructured version of this workout that Carmichael uses in Colorado is "a neighborhood circuit that includes a short hill; I hammer up the climb, roll around to the base and go again." (Bicycling Magazine, November 2010)

Update on Craig; he's two weeks post accident and walking almost normally now.  He is getting tired of guarding his right arm and limiting movement, but I find it highly encouraging that he's talking about bike camps this winter.  Now that has to be a good sign!!


No comments:

Post a Comment