Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 3, Bisbee/Mule Pass

Day, 3, view from my room
Art. me and KRhea


A much better day today starting with a 6 mile hill climb up in Coronado National Memorial, complete with some left over snow from yesterday, back down and then over to Bisbee.
Art, top of Coronado

The weather started out cold, but somehow didn't seem too bad, even though the temp was said to be about 27 degrees.  We had some wind again today, but only about 14 mph with a few gusts.

Entering Bisbee is like coming into a small European village.  In Bisbee, we had our first 'real' PAC Tours lunch - spaghetti with meatballs, spinach salad, and really good apple pie, all in a big parking lot.  (I am quite particular about the latter as my Mom used to make the best apple pies).  Susan said someone, a non-rider, came up to her and asked if they were having a bake sale.  After lunch, Art, Art2 (who we met on this trip) and I went to a coffee shop to load up on some caffeine.
Warming up after coffee in Bisbee

Anyway, I do think this is the best lunch I have ever had on an organized bike ride.  Here's a nice touch - hot water to wash hands with "before you touch anything", Lon says.  Even at the rest stops!  They also have ample Hammer products; gu, Endurolytes, drink mixes and lots of made up COLD Gatorade.  And....dates, my favorite ride snack.  Oh yeah, and Payday candy bars. 
Marcy from Sante Fe, me, Art and Art2

The climb out of Bisbee to Mule Pass is pretty neat.  One almost doesn't feel the climb as you wind your way up, through Bisbee, to a washed out road (bikes can make it) that bypasses the highway.  This is followed by a blasted fun descent to Tombstone.  Our group opted out of the extra miles to get in a century.  Our legs are tired and I for one am feeling the altitude (4500' in SV, 6000' out of Bisbee at the pass).  We took a 15.5 mile cutoff road over to SV and our group had a pretty good paceline going.

Stats:  73 miles, time 4:31, average speed 15.2, max speed 38 mph. 

I have to add this;  last night 12 of us went to a Mexican restaurant.  PV folks, Lon, plus two women I met that are here on scholarship to train.  Of course KRhea told everyone it was my birthday (my 59th).  And, at the post ride meeting, DK got up and made a little speech about someone who is a first time PAC Tour rider, someone he knows, "this person is likable or wants to be likable" (huh?) etc, etc, and it became clear what he was doing.  KRhea came out with a birthday cake with 5 candles on one side, 9 on the other.  Pretty darn nice, although somewhat embarrassing.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Susan!!! So glad to have met you and Art on this trip.... And your wicked fast!!! haha

    ReplyDelete