Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Aufderheide Highway Ride

Summer is going fast.  We have been riding quite a bit, although after Italy, I have had to scale back due to some tendinitis issues.  A couple of weekends ago we rode one of my favorite rides, Jackson's Ride the Gorge (see 7/29/11 post for detailed description).

This past Saturday, KRhea took a group to ride the 118ish mile out and back of the Aufderheide Drive, actually NF 19.  A good description with mileage can be found on Gorp.  We over-nighted in Springfield on Friday and drove to the starting point along the main fork of the McKenzie River.  We rode to the top of Box Canyon and then I turned around and went back to get my car  - an abbreviated version and compromise so as to give my knees a rest and also provide some support to the group.  Rode down all by myself in old growth forest, the south fork of the upper McKenzie river roaring to my right side, then quieting on the left after crossing a bridge close to French Pete campground (gotta love that name).  There were only a couple of deer standing in the road to slow me down.  25 miles down in a little over an hour with a few stops for pictures; now that is what I call a fun descent!  I drove back up and found the others on the backside, only about 10 miles from West Fir, where they had stopped to have lunch.   Cowboy (Jeff) got rid of his 15+ pound pack filled with his nice camera, etc.,  while others dropped some additional gear.  I went on, stopping every 10 or so miles to provide any support they might need.  All in all a good day for me; some riding and some alone time in the forest.

VA and Mary

The top of the climb where you can access Grasshopper Trailhead, offers access to Chucksney Roadless area.
Box Canyon Guard Station. Built by the Civilian Conservation Corp. and the Forest Service during the 1930's (Depression Era).  This is a replica.  
Cougar Reservoir parking lot across from
Terwilliger Hot Springs (clothes optional) $6


South Fork of the McKenzie after French Pete Campground

10 miles from the top, backside.  Loading up on water and snacks before the last climb.
VA, KRhea and Jeff (Cowboy)

Box Canyon, back at the top, waiting for riders. 



VA - first woman to the top!
The end
Phil, Jeff, me, Cowboy Jeff, VA, Gary, KRhea, Mary and Jim
Cycling Tips has a small blurb about the Giro di Lombardia.  The "famous ramp", Wall of Sormano has been put on the route!  Sept. 29th.

No comments:

Post a Comment