Saturday, April 28, 2012

Single track MTB (not my thing!)

Today I went with a group of women to the Jones Creek Trailhead off the Wilson River to try single track mountain biking.  Shari, a bike coach, has been talking about taking a group of 'women only' for a ride.  She even sent me a little video of her riding up there:


Looked scary, but fun, and she assured me that I don't have to ride that fast!  Today was the day.  Only four other women showed and none were beginners.  I knew from the start I was sunk, especially as one woman flew up an incline, over rocks and roots and yelled "don't be afraid to hold onto trees so you don't fall!"  Huh???  Suffice it to say, all four were out of my sight in about two minutes and I was alone.  I simply could not get back on my bike on even the slightest incline, not to mention there were creeks to cross, rocks to hop, cliffs down to the river, all on a trail that can't be more than a foot wide - hence the name single track I guess.  Well, this is something I don't think I will try again which is too bad.  The forest setting is right up my alley!

It'd be one thing to have a 19 lb cross bike to carry over and around obstacles, but these full suspension MTB's are another matter.  This is similar to the 28+ lb Specialized Stumpjumper behemoth I rented:
Tomorrow the PV folks are riding the 60 mile Monster Cookie ride down in Salem.  I think I can handle that.

No comments:

Post a Comment