Thursday, February 16, 2012

My wheel obcession

My Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheel rims are getting worn.  I like these out of the box wheels that weigh about 1550 gms.  I began to search for new wheels, talking to just about anyone that would listen and got a lot of advice.  A pair of Elite's advertised on Craig's List turned out to be a bogus pair of ?something? very small and heavy with a pasted on decal, 'Ksyrium Elite'.  Then, as I was telling my tales of woe my to my friend, Art, he interrupted me to say, "I have a pair in my garage I got from a swap meet for $150.  You can have them for that."  Whoa.  A $650+ pair of wheels, new, for $150!  They are perfect, the right color (black), Shimano drivetrain, never used, probably 2009's.  They are on my bike now.  Competitive Cyclist does a good review of them on YouTube.


In the course of searching for wheels, I now have a wish list and know just a tad more about them.  Dan at SW Bicycle said his favorite wheel is custom build, Velocity rims with DT Swiss spokes and Chris King hubs.  They weigh about 1400 gms.  I'd do black spokes with black Chris King hubs.

(VA - they are now available campy compatible!)


I also just found a very good article about custom builds on my favorite bike blog, Cycling Tips.


I'm into deals - getting a black FSA compact crankset from KRhea today for my rain bike!  Had to buy a new bottom bracket to fit, so splurged for a Chris King.  Overkill I know, but it'll last forever.  Todd,  the great mechanic at SW Bicycles talked me into it:

No comments:

Post a Comment